DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2011 , 06:04 AM
Uber Member

Are those home made panels? (iThey look well made. Is that the amount of panels you need in a small room? It looks like a lot. I'm going to post some pics of my new room on another thread later. I'm going to look over the house later to get an idea of what work i want to do before moving in. I'll take a pic of the room i'm using as a studio. I actually have a funny feeling that only one side of my ceiling is slanted in and one side isn't. I don't know if that poses me more problems or not with regards to treating the room.

Your room is looking really good though! Great stuff

edit:Just noticed earlier you said they arehome made. Nice work!
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 14th August 2011 at 06:07 AM. . <
Old 14th August 2011 , 05:38 PM

Things I have read include:
- expect to need to cover 20-30 percent of the total area,
- rooms smaller than 45 m3 (1,500 cu. ft) will need more trapping to avoid the boxy sound,
- you cannot have too much trapping,
- superchunks in the 4 corners will be most effective with taming bass,
- broadband absorbers along the wall to ceiling corners will also help tame the bass,
- use broadband absorbers at the first reflection points,
- tilt the cloud above the mixing position (thanks for the reminder, Trevor), some say 12 min., others 15.

After a 4 month wait I got an email from DV247 2 days ago to say that my Behringer ECM8000 test mic has arrived. Ideally I would have delayed starting until the mic came and I could afford a pair of monitors. Instead, and because this is a rehearsal room not a recording studio, I have read as much as I can and am taking a 'best guess in the circumstances' course of action.

Also, because I had to order all the timber 6 weeks in advance from the Czech Republic, the insulation a month in advance from the capital, 200 miles away and hessian from the UK, I don't easily have the freedom to make a trap, test and then go and buy a bit more of this and that to make another one, so I am building 29 traps plus the 4 corner superchunks and will use as many as I need, with a few on stands to use as gobos.

I was not expecting this to become a sticky topic. When I am finished I will list materials and costs so that anyone reading this can get a good idea of what such a project involves and also what mistakes I have made so that others can learn from my mistakes.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 9th September 2011 , 08:34 AM

The traps are now all made, 12 triangular corner bass traps and 29 broadband traps. The four corners each have 3 x 1 metre high superchunk traps, 850mm/34" across the face, the wall-ceiling corners have 8 traps straddling them and the ceiling has 5 traps, 3 of which provide a 15 sloping cloud above the listening position. The side walls each have 2 traps at the listening position.

All the remaining traps will be movable: 6 will be hung on the walls and 6 will be free standing, to be used as traps or gobos, as required. "Why such a flexible approach?" you may ask. It is just a rehearsal room but I would like to do some recording so some flexibility is desirable. Also, because I have not yet done any acoustic measuring (I will get the long-awaited mic later this month), I want to be able to play with the traps when I do measure the room.

Above: Only the basic traps.
Below: All 41 traps.

Costs:
190 Wood: 400 metres, 18x18 mm
160 Mineral wool: Knauf T140 decibel, 7 rolls
40 Plasterer's gauze, 100 sq m
150 Hessian, 90 sq m
75 Other: staples, screws, glue, rawlplugs, hooks, wire, drill bit, door seal

Total: 615 for 41 traps, or 15 each, which works out to be less than 20% of the price of buying all these traps ready made.
Lester is offline Offline
Last edited by Lester; 9th September 2011 at 11:44 PM. . <