DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2010 , 10:44 AM

Lightbulb Same old problem....sorry

Hey all new to your forums and going straight in with the typical questions

I'm moving in an apartment at the end of december. It's ground floor and as with other apartment has 100 neighbours!! My problem is I have a Yamaha U1 acoustic piano...it's the love of my life! trouble is I would prefer my neighbours not to shoot me so want to reduce the noise transmitted as much as possible. Wondered if you all good suggest some ideas. The property is rented so I can't just stick aload of boards on the walls and mastic the sides.

I also have people who sing and play guitars etc as friends and i'd like to record us playing as a group - not looking for professional sound but would be nice to be able to use my place as rehearsal space so again keeping noise as low as possible would be better for my life expectancy.

In summery what i'm really asking is:

Is there a good way of insulating sound from an acoustic piano?
Or should I sell it and buy a good digital instead?
what is the best way to get the best out of my apartment in terms of soundproofing and acoustic treatment?
and also what equipment can you guys recommend as good base setups. i.e PA for live performance, mics for home and live...etc

Cheers all hope to hear from you soon
Sam_H is offline Offline
Old 20th October 2010 , 11:19 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

In short, if it's a rented apartment where you can't make permamnent changes, then you are somewhat stuffed in terms of soundproofing. To reduce sound transmission by any appreciable amount, you need mass, and lots of it. You would at least need to be looking at a room-within-a-room type construction.

For acoustic treatment, then there's much more you can do with free-standing and wall hanging broadband absorbers and bass traps.

You should start off by reading the sticky threads in this very section of the forum as well as Trev's informative post on the subject: Treating a domestic sized room
Old 20th October 2010 , 12:34 PM
Uber Member

Give me a shout if you're selling the Piano!

Welcome to the forum
Piano is offline Offline
Old 20th October 2010 , 04:43 PM
Mic Check 1!

What you need is a soundproof room. You are in luck as I have one without a piano in it. I will however allow you to use it. Indeed, out of the goodness of my heart, I will lend you the small midi keyboard I have to keep your fingers warmed up.

seriously though. Dave's right. The only suggestion I can make is to keep your playing to reasonable hours of the day and for relatively short periods if you can. Alternatively sell your u1 and buy one of the clever yamaha silent pianos that can be muted. As an aside I am actually in the Market for a u1 if you do consider selling. Oh and by the way, welcome to the forums!

As
Old 21st October 2010 , 10:00 AM

well messeges have been sent

I would sell the piano for the right price, it seems the logical solution i've been quoted to convert the piano to a silent type but for the money it costs i may as well buy a digital and then i'd use that which means the acoustic would sit idle...seems pointless.

so yes I would sell the piano for the right offer. Other than that i don't seem to have many options apart from investing in a body guard to save me from irate neighbours lol
Sam_H is offline Offline
Old 21st October 2010 , 12:36 PM

This is the big problem with living in apartments. Everyone’s so close to each other they can hear each other sneeze through the walls yet they rarely talk to one another. What sort of age groups are your neighbours? Back in the days of yore when I was at university I always favoured the up front approach. Personally I would chap doors and introduce myself as the musician who now lives on the ground floor. Tell them you play piano and have an upright at home that you practise on. Then (pardon the pun) play it by ear from there. It’s amazing how reasonable people can be when you include them in the process.

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 21st October 2010 , 12:54 PM

yea i agree, and I'll definately be doing the door knocking routine anyway whatever happens.

Havent actually moved in yet but the block has a large range of tenants really but mainly young professionals.

trouble is i have very varied hours of work so playing to strict times sometimes wouldn't be practical. I've definately decided selling is the best option, sell this one and buy a digital.

it is unfortunate but i'd rather not face the problem later on plus if i ever fell out with neighbours its one less thing to argue about.
Sam_H is offline Offline
Old 4th November 2010 , 03:38 PM

Selling your U1 sounds really bad... but I think at the end of the day it is and will be the best decision.

Wish you luck and fun with your new equipment!
frenchize is offline Offline