DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2010 , 10:56 AM

Default Room Modes

I am looking for a little advice on room treatment. I have a room that is 3.7m x 2.5m x 2.6m so as you can see itís quite a small room. I have my desk set up across the width of the room with my speakers pointing down its length angled towards my mixing position about a 1/3rd of the way up the room. What would be a reasonable addition to this room in order to help better control sound within?

------
weaver is offline Offline
Old 8th October 2010 , 05:15 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
I am looking for a little advice on room treatment. I have a room that is 3.7m x 2.5m x 2.6m so as you can see itís quite a small room. I have my desk set up across the width of the room with my speakers pointing down its length angled towards my mixing position about a 1/3rd of the way up the room. What would be a reasonable addition to this room in order to help better control sound within?

------
bass traps (not foam). Corner to ceiling. Take a look at my thread on"treating a domestic sized room". You may not be able to do everything I suggest in that but the closer you can get the better!
Old 10th October 2010 , 05:13 PM

I canít use the floor to ceiling bass trap idea Iím looking more towards covering a ceiling cloud and reflection points with hanging traps. Yours is a good thread that I followed even though you havenít posted the finished article pics yet!

------
Old 10th October 2010 , 07:07 PM
Mic Check 1!

If you dont deal with any corners in a room that size you are screwed. Why can't you do any corners?
Old 10th October 2010 , 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
If you dont deal with any corners in a room that size you are screwed. Why can't you do any corners?
Iím sorry my post is slightly misleading. I canít use the permanent floor to ceiling Bass traps youíve built in your control room. However I would be looking at treating the corners behind my reference monitors and in the two opposite corners in addition to the reflection points.

Iíve had a look at the GiK room kits and thought about using a combination of 242ís and 244ís but I had reservations since itís a small room and needs modes beginning at 46 Hz tamed. At this point I considered building my own but stopped short of building them since I wasnít sure how the physics would translate practically through available materials. Bob Golds

If you were to build two different types of traps like these would you use the same rock wool?

------
Old 10th October 2010 , 09:46 PM
Mic Check 1!

Ah. Got you. No it doesnt have to be fixed traps. Moveable ones would be fine. Indeed there's no reason you couldn't put them on hinges like the ones in my live room.

46hz is a very tough one to treat but I suspect you have even worse ones in a rooms that size. The key to modes is that every room has them. Where you have lots close together then you have big issues. Smaller rooms tend to have modes closer together.

I'd say you need to start with broadband treatment (either GIK 244s or rs 60 rocksilk for corners - you can get it from Travis Perkins relatively cheaply). Once you have dealt with as meany corners as you can measure the room again. If you have a very low mode such as 46 hz you need to think about tuned traps or even modex panels but until you have dealt with the 60-350hz area I wouldn't even think of that.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by TrevCircleStudios; 10th October 2010 at 10:02 PM. . <
Old 10th October 2010 , 10:00 PM

Youíve more or less confirmed what I was thinking. It got to the point I also considered the RPG Modex Corners but at a £150 a piece letís just say left a rather unpleasant taste in ones mouth. In addition Iíve also considered building tuned LF modal Helmholtz absorber/s. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

------
Old 10th October 2010 , 10:01 PM
Mic Check 1!

Just looking at your room dimensions a bit more closely. As suspected the 46.5 is less of an issue. You have very tightly spaced modes at:

68.8 and 66.2

132, 138 & 139

198 & 206

265, 275 & 279

331 & 344

These are all in the prime mix problem zone and leave you with big holes in your room's frequency response. If you leave them unsorted you will always have translation issues. As I said above, broadband trapping is key to these.

Hope this helps.
Old 10th October 2010 , 10:23 PM

Yeah that looks about right to me I’ve also got a few around 413.29, 418.87 and 434.62 and again a couple relatively tightly spaced at 465.42 and 482.17. I've got my work cut out for me here.

------