DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th June 2010 , 08:38 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Default A quick vs question

I haz off house hunting at teh weekend.

One of the criteria will be a studio space.

The curiosity i'm pondering (having looked at floorplans of houses we'll be looking at) is the choice between a dedicated studio room (10' x 8' perhaps)that will be relatively small but could be treated on all walls/corners, or a much bigger (20' x 10') but shared (living room etc) room where only partial treatment can be installed.

In either case i'll not be going for more than a 6.5" speaker anytime soon.

In both of those cases it's unlikley the speakers can be pulled too far away from the wall.
tehlord is offline Offline
Old 24th June 2010 , 09:32 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Here's the approximate layout :-

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property/...tMediaNumber=0

I'm thinking dining room vs living room.
Old 24th June 2010 , 07:33 PM
Mic Check 1!

Is there a question I'm missing in all this?
Old 24th June 2010 , 08:43 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Is there a question I'm missing in all this?

Either that or one I failed to pose properly.

Is a smallish but better treated room a better bet than a larger but less well treated room?
Old 24th June 2010 , 09:44 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehlord View Post
Either that or one I failed to pose properly.

Is a smallish but better treated room a better bet than a larger but less well treated room?
Hmm. Tricky one. It depends. Small rooms are very difficult to balance indeed as the dimensions build problems in that are hard to fix. That said you need something like a minimum of 24ft length to prevent any haas effect so even the bigger dimensions dont give you an ideal space (though likely better than the small room). How much treatment you put into each then affects how much better one is than the other. I think on balance it comes down to a pragmatic decision: do you prefer a space with better sonic potential (the big room) or a more private space to work in peace?
Old 24th June 2010 , 09:56 PM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
Hmm. Tricky one. It depends. Small rooms are very difficult to balance indeed as the dimensions build problems in that are hard to fix. That said you need something like a minimum of 24ft length to prevent any haas effect so even the bigger dimensions dont give you an ideal space (though likely better than the small room). How much treatment you put into each then affects how much better one is than the other. I think on balance it comes down to a pragmatic decision: do you prefer a space with better sonic potential (the big room) or a more private space to work in peace?

Well I've got no real plans to huddle myself away in a little grief hole so the bigger room looks the favourite option. This will be somewhat of a compromise as I just can't afford the space I need down these parts with mortgages as restrictive (or realistic - take your pick) as they are these days.

Knowing that helps choose the place more effectively so once the move occurs it'll be calculation and treatment building time.

Ta
Old 25th June 2010 , 10:46 AM
Furry Filter Phreak

I much prefer my large living room (6.5m x 5.5m) to the old place where the studio was in the usual 3m x 4m size space.

The downside - as you say treating the room is difficult - especially if like mine - fully open plan and with a kitchen in part of it. You have to be very careful what you cook and need a good extractor to avoid getting crap all over your gear over time.

You also need a very tolerant other half, ideally someone who actually likes listen to the same short looped section of your music for about half an hour while you tweak it etc

The other plus side - all the DJ gear and sound systems in the living room - great for parties etc, but this is also a negative too - as you need to be careful who you let into your house with everything there to see.

On balance - I think next time round Ill be looking for a place that has the separatable dining room/living room type arrangement - ie where it can be opened out into a single large space, but can be closed off with screen type doors possibly when you want to as well. I doubt if I'll be able to afford a large enough house to have a decent size dedicated studio room and I dont want a tiny room they always sound horrible.

BTW another plus is its just big enough to have a reasonable ambience for vocal/accoustic recording without any treatment beyond an SE reflection filter, also the primary room mode is very low frequency, but still very noticeable around 70Hz and 140Hz and to a lesser degree at 105Hz. The 140 is the most annoying, but then its completely untreated.

For me the ambience is important even when mixing - I just find a small room even a well treated one still sounds like a small room and you cant really get away with havoing a sub that does anything useful, whereas my current place actually sounds moderately spacious and it tolerates a useful sub.
Last edited by Khazul; 25th June 2010 at 10:52 AM. . <
Old 25th June 2010 , 10:51 AM
Tarnce Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul View Post
I much prefer my large living room (6.5m x 5.5m) to the old place where the studio was in the usual 3m x 4m size space.

The downside - as you say treating the room is difficult - especially if like mine - fully open plan and with a kitchen in part of it. You have to be very careful what you cook and need a good extractor to avoid getting crap all over your gear over time.

You also need a very tolerant other half, ideally someone who actually likes listen to the same short looped section of your music for about half an hour while you tweak it etc

The other plus side - all the DJ gear and sound systems in the living room - great for parties etc, but this is also a negative too - as you need to be careful who you let into your house with everything there to see.

On balance - I think next time round Ill be looking for a place that has the separatable dining room/living room type arrangement - ie where it can be opened out into a single large space, but can be closed off with screen type doors possibly when you want to as well. I doubt if I'll be able to afford a large enough house to have a decent size dedicated studio room and I dont want a tiny room they always sound horrible.

BTW another plus is its just big enough to have a reasonable ambience for vocal/accoustic recording without any treatment beyond an SE reflection filter, also the primary room mode is very low frequency, but still very noticeable around 70Hz and 140Hz and to a lesser degree at 105Hz. The 140 is the most annoying, but then its completely untreated.

To be honest I was hoping to mimic the kind of setup you've got. I think the acoustics in your space are far superior to mine in the first place and my setup is in one corner of a big (30' x 10') room with high ceilings and wood floors firing down the short wall!

I'm lucky in that the misses is onvolved in the recording process (singing) and is usually hammering away at the keyboard when i'm not anyway!