DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2010 , 06:25 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankGIK View Post
Trev already hit all the big points. You'll want to get all the corners you can with as much symmetry as possible. In a room that size I'd do all 244's and skip the 242's though. I see that you can't do the front corners, but you can do the back ones. You can do the reflection points and the back wall and the ceiling...again, all in 244's. The reason is that the 244 will do everything the 242 will do plus add all the low frequency absorption. On second thought, a Monster Bass Trap would be better on the back wall if you've got the space for it behind the kit.

Frank
So how about if i bought i monster bass trap, and 6 of the 244's. Do you reckon that would be enough? Would i be able to get enough for about 500?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 12th April 2010 , 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
So how about if i bought i monster bass trap, and 6 of the 244's. Do you reckon that would be enough? Would i be able to get enough for about 500?
That would be great...and yes, just under. Send me an email to frank(dot)o(at)gikacoustics(dot)com.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 12th April 2010 , 07:27 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
I'd say you'll want 7 (one as a cloud). Ah, I see the man himself already arrived though!
Old 13th April 2010 , 07:49 PM
Uber Member

Well, i got a quote last night for what i need and i'm very very happy with it!! Unfortunately i'll have to wait a couple of months before actually ordering but when i do, i will post some pictures to let anyone who may also be thinking about treating a domestic room see what it looks like when it's done and most importantly let them know my opinion on what difference it makes sound wise.

I think alot of people, who like myself may have had no experience with acoustic treatment, may be surprised just how affordable it actually is
Piano is offline Offline
Old 29th November 2010 , 07:21 PM
Uber Member

Not long before i get my room kitted out with some acoustic treatment and i have a couple of questions before i actually make the order in a few weeks time. I was reading SOS today and as most of you will know they have a studio SOS. It was a particularly informative one today and raised a few questions for me. The were talking particularly about treating a small square room (just like mine) and offering some advice on how to improve things. In the small rooms, they seem to advise concentrating on the mirror points, behind the speakers and on the ceiling above the knees of where you sit at the desk. They don't seem as bothered with the back corners of the room in a small room. Now when i come to buy, i can onlyafford to buy a certain amount of panels coming to around 450 from GIK. The initial plan was to buy a monster bass trap for the back wall, 2 bass trap panels for each of the back wall corners and 3 acoustic panels, 2 for the mirror points and one above me on the ceiling. For behind the speakers i was just going to buy some acoustic foam panels (sorry trev) as i can't afford any more panels. What i am wondering is, would it be better for me to have 2 GIK panels behind the speakers as opposed to having the 2 bass traps in the back corners? In SOS, they seem less concerned about the back corners in a small room and i want to spend the money i do have in the more effective way possible. What do you guys think? Would the back wall be ok with just the monster bass trap in the middle and nothing in the corners? or would i be better going with the original plan and just having some acoustic foam behind the speakers?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 29th November 2010 , 07:54 PM
Mic Check 1!

Ya know, Frank's an acoustician. The guy who advises SOS about acoustics was the original designer I had for my studio He got sacked when I realised I knew more than him. I'd go with what frank told you. As an aside, as you know I have Northward Acoustics, one of the world's leading acoustic companies, doing my control room. The feedback they gave on my current room? I should have worried more about the back wall of the room than the front wall. Make of that what you will.

As an aside, Frank has now left GIK and gone back to school to do a PhD so you'll have to deal with Glenn (GIK's owner).

And as for your foam, do yourself a favour and if you are going to use it buy a bag of rocksilk slabs and at least put one behind it. Foam panels do nothing other than at high frequencies. Ethan Winer (who I have little time for fwiw) had some acoustic lab tests undertaken on foam panels. If you dont want to just throw your money away don't listen to me, read the tests.
Old 29th November 2010 , 08:43 PM
Uber Member

Cool. Was just wanting clarity on the matter Trev as after reading the article today, it conflicted with the initial advice.

As for the foam, i'll take your advice and forget all about it. It's just been used so often in SOS, i gathered it might be alright for behind the speakers.

I'll just buy what i was initially going to buy at the end of the month, and get a few more panels a month or so later and that will cover everything i need. Just can't get it all at once.

Cheers.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 8th December 2012 , 09:49 AM

Designing your own music and recording room isn't as easy as it seems. I remember when my brother ask me to help him renovate his room to a music/recording room. The first thing we did was to soundproof the room and then redesign his wall. One of the tips that I can give you is to always think of the functionality of the things you are going to put inside the room. It is very important to keep it spacious as possible and comfy just like your own room.

[url]http://www.flrs.co.uk/Non_Geographic_Numbers.html[/url]
amelca123 is offline Offline