DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2010 , 07:52 PM
Mic Check 1!

First things first then, looks like you have got the speakers firing down the longest direction in the room. Perfect. Keep the desk where it is.

Second, looks like your head will be about a third of the length of the room sitting in the mix position. If so, keep it there, if not, move your desk slightly so you are (that may result in a bit of space behind your desk/monitors, that would be a good thing too).

Third, looks like your desk is not quite centred in the room. It would help if it was. Looks like you might need to swap your piano and couch around so that you can still access the door once the desk is moved over a little to the left.

Fourth, while you may not be able to do floor to ceiling panels in each corner looks like you could put up panels across the top half of each corner (with the possible exception of the door though even there you may even be able to put one up on a hinge so that you can lie it flat against the wall when you need to open the door and have it straddle the corner when you are working. If you are buying from GIK then 4 x 244 traps fitted as described will be your first step.

Fifth, once you've taken step four listen to the room. It's likely that you'll still have a front back standing wave. a couple of 242 panels on the back wall will help that.

Sixth, mirror points. Sit at your mix position and get your missus to walk around the room with a small mirror held against the wall. Wherever you can see your monitors, that is a mirror point. A slab of rockwool or a 242 panel at that point should do the trick.

Seventh, don't forget you will have a mirror point on the ceiling above you. Repeat above.

Now GIK panels are certainly excellent and I'd recommend them but if it's gonna be six months I'd also say better to get a couple of 20 bags of rockwool and wrap them in a muslin sheet and hang them up with some picture hooks to keep you going in the meantime. At least that way you can do some decent work and have a reasonably decent sounding room.

Hope this helps!
Old 10th April 2010 , 08:37 PM
Uber Member

Thanks Trev, that's brilliant. Yep, i can definitely fit panels in the corners from halfway up to the ceiling. I can also put one in the corner next to the door as there is actually a little bit of wall there which you will be able to see in my actual pictures of the room although i didn't manage to illustrate that in the pictures. The only problem i can see if making the desk more centred. There is a little indent in the room to the left of the desk next to the door that makes it more or less impossible for me to do that, again you might be able to see what i mean in the real pictures as i didn't manage to illustrate that in the sketch either. Apart from that though, everything else seems fine and that's given me a real clear idea what to do when i get these panels in. I may have to end up covering one or other of the windows with a panel but that wont be a problem as i have blinds closed over them all the time anyway. As for the back wall, i can fit panels there no problem but i also have Guitars hanging there that hang a good 5 inches off the wall, would it be ok to hang he panels there sort of behind the Guitars? (again you will see what i mean in the real pic) or should i have absolutely nothing atall obstructing the panels? I can move the Guitars if need be without a problem but i'm just wondering if it would be ok to leave them where they are. Thanks alot, really appreciate it!

One last thing, if you look at the real pic of where my desk is, you will see that the little indent in the wall i'm talking about leaves a little corner behind mt left side monitor which essentially means i have 5 corners in the room. Should i also fit a panel in that corner aswell as the others?
Piano is offline Offline
Old 10th April 2010 , 08:43 PM
Uber Member

Sorry!! My original pictures don't actually show that indent. This one does. Sorry about that, i thought the ones i posted did!

And here's another i've just taken to try and give you a clear idea what i mean

Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 10th April 2010 at 08:52 PM. . <
Old 10th April 2010 , 08:49 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano View Post
Thanks Trev, that's brilliant. Yep, i can definitely fit panels in the corners from halfway up to the ceiling. I can also put one in the corner next to the door as there is actually a little bit of wall there which you will be able to see in my actual pictures of the room although i didn't manage to illustrate that in the pictures. The only problem i can see if making the desk more centred. There is a little indent in the room to the left of the desk next to the door that makes it more or less impossible for me to do that, again you might be able to see what i mean in the real pictures as i didn't manage to illustrate that in the sketch either. Apart from that though, everything else seems fine and that's given me a real clear idea what to do when i get these panels in. I may have to end up covering one or other of the windows with a panel but that wont be a problem as i have blinds closed over them all the time anyway. As for the back wall, i can fit panels there no problem but i also have Guitars hanging there that hang a good 5 inches off the wall, would it be ok to hang he panels there sort of behind the Guitars? (again you will see what i mean in the real pic) or should i have absolutely nothing atall obstructing the panels? I can move the Guitars if need be without a problem but i'm just wondering if it would be ok to leave them where they are. Thanks alot, really appreciate it!

One last thing, if you look at the real pic of where my desk is, you will see that the little indent in the wall i'm talking about leaves a little corner behind mt left side monitor which essentially means i have 5 corners in the room. Should i also fit a panel in that corner aswell as the others?
Better if you can move the guitars but if you can't dont sweat it. Putting the panels behind the guitars will be better than you have now. I was in Michael Wagener's new studio, Wireworld 3, last summer and he has about 40 guitars hanging in front of his rear wall absorber! If it's good enough for him! ;-)

Ah I can see the problem re your desk now. Yeah it would be good to have a panel in that little corner behind your monitor..

Cheers
Trev
Old 10th April 2010 , 08:58 PM
Uber Member

Excellent. Thanks again.

Just need to get the panels now.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 10th April 2010 , 09:10 PM
Mic Check 1!

Now worries.

BTW I spy "A Night at the Opera" album cover. Cool.
Old 10th April 2010 , 10:37 PM
Uber Member

Yeah, i'm a huge Queen fan. A night at the opera is my favourite album, as is probably the case with most Queen fans. In saying that, the Greatest hits 1 album is easily the CD i listen to most. Definitely my biggest influence in Music, not that is shows in my own material but they certainly set the standard in my eyes. Freddie Mercury was an absolute Genius both as a songwriter and performer. I agree with Rodger Taylor that sometimes people overlooked his songwriting ability and focused on him more as being a great "showman", which he undoubtedly was but he was just as talented a writer as he was a performer, atleast imo. I shouldn't get started or i'll end up taking this thread right off topic and blabber on about Queen.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 10th April 2010 , 10:45 PM
Uber Member

One last Question just when i think about it. How many panels do you think i will most likely need? a rough estimate is fine, just so i can calculate an approximate price. If i can get an idea of how many i need, i'll PM frank at GIK and get a price
Piano is offline Offline
Old 11th April 2010 , 12:34 AM
Keeper o' the Keys!

Regarding hanging guitars in front of your panel, like Trev says, the panel will still do it's job, but be wary of hanging an acoustic guitar in the direct firing line of your speakers as any resonant notes are going to be picked up by the acoustic guitar body and make it resonate giving you a strange reverb tail that will bug you like mad 'cos you can't work out where it's coming from.... I speak from experience! In the end, just wedging a bit of foam betwen the strings and thre body meant I could leave e guitar where it was hanging
Old 11th April 2010 , 08:06 AM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
One last Question just when i think about it. How many panels do you think i will most likely need? a rough estimate is fine, just so i can calculate an approximate price. If i can get an idea of how many i need, i'll PM frank at GIK and get a price
ultimately I'd say 6 or 7 x 244s and 3x242s but you could do it in stages as I suggested. I'd also say though that frank has forgotten more about this than I'll ever know so if he suggests something different I'd bow to his knowledge every time.
Old 11th April 2010 , 08:07 AM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boulden View Post
Regarding hanging guitars in front of your panel, like Trev says, the panel will still do it's job, but be wary of hanging an acoustic guitar in the direct firing line of your speakers as any resonant notes are going to be picked up by the acoustic guitar body and make it resonate giving you a strange reverb tail that will bug you like mad 'cos you can't work out where it's coming from.... I speak from experience! In the end, just wedging a bit of foam betwen the strings and thre body meant I could leave e guitar where it was hanging

Great tip!
Old 11th April 2010 , 09:46 AM
Uber Member

Thanks Guys for the advice. I'll drop Frank a PM.

To think i used to believe, only recently, that acoustic treatment was covering your walls with egg box shaped foam......
Piano is offline Offline
Last edited by Piano; 11th April 2010 at 10:55 AM. . <
Old 11th April 2010 , 05:48 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Thanks Guys for the advice. I'll drop Frank a PM.

To think i used to believe, only recently, that acoustic treatment was covering your walls with egg box shaped foam......
The mighty marketing machine of certain foam companies tell such a good story that it's near on impossible to actually get people to accept the basic physics. You are ten steps ahead of your peer group that you are prepared to deal properly with your acoustics. It'll pay you back tenfold!
Old 11th April 2010 , 06:48 PM
Uber Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCircleStudios View Post
The mighty marketing machine of certain foam companies tell such a good story that it's near on impossible to actually get people to accept the basic physics. You are ten steps ahead of your peer group that you are prepared to deal properly with your acoustics. It'll pay you back tenfold!
Here's hoping! I'm actually dying to get started on it and i would be sooner if i didn't still owe DV just under 2 grand for the new recording gear i've ordered, they let me pay it up a few hundred quid a week so around half is paid and i still have another half to go. Once i get that Paid off, in about a month or so, i've made this acoustic treatment my first priority. I sent Frank a PM this morning so just waiting on him getting back to me. I'm really interested to see what sort of difference it is going to make. I have absolutely no experience with Acoustic treatment atall and have never even been in a room that has been treated so i'm quite excited to hear what difference it actually makes and how the room will sound. I'm going to record something before i get it done and then after i have it done just out of interest to see how beneficial it actually is.
Piano is offline Offline
Old 12th April 2010 , 05:56 PM

Trev already hit all the big points. You'll want to get all the corners you can with as much symmetry as possible. In a room that size I'd do all 244's and skip the 242's though. I see that you can't do the front corners, but you can do the back ones. You can do the reflection points and the back wall and the ceiling...again, all in 244's. The reason is that the 244 will do everything the 242 will do plus add all the low frequency absorption. On second thought, a Monster Bass Trap would be better on the back wall if you've got the space for it behind the kit.

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline