DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers Lowest Price Guaranteed, Free Delivery, Free 3 Year Warranty
Go Back   DV247 Forums - A Global Community for Music Makers > Technique > Acoustic Treatment
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Home Register Groups FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Go to DV247.com
New to Forums or just joined? Why not start your journey here?

Acoustic Treatment Optimise acoustics in your studio environment for accurate mixing - the best advice here..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2009 , 12:30 PM
Hell-Rider

I have only 2 words for this, Mother F***er, 1 for having such an awesome kit list (id give a kidney for the manley and distressor alone) and secondly for having the 1176 from puppets
JAYDMF is offline Offline
Old 14th December 2009 , 10:28 PM

next year i plan on revamping my guitar room, i plan on re-insulating the room with maybe some spray foam insulation as it a little chllly in there in the winter, i have some energy rating people calling on wed to get the report done for me so i know where to start, has anyone used spray foam kits in the past??, im a dab hand at diy/construction having worked in it for almost 20yrs so nothing frightens me at this stage except and the nephew is a plasterer so ill have him on hand when we reslab the walls etc.
bluebearddub is offline Offline
Old 14th December 2009 , 10:31 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebearddub View Post
next year i plan on revamping my guitar room, i plan on re-insulating the room with maybe some spray foam insulation as it a little chllly in there in the winter, i have some energy rating people calling on wed to get the report done for me so i know where to start, has anyone used spray foam kits in the past??, im a dab hand at diy/construction having worked in it for almost 20yrs so nothing frightens me at this stage except and the nephew is a plasterer so ill have him on hand when we reslab the walls etc.
Looks like this should be in a new thread of it's own dude...
Old 16th January 2010 , 12:34 PM

How's the studio build going ? This is a great thread, eagerly awaiting the next installment.
DangerMouse is offline Offline
Old 17th January 2010 , 12:43 PM
Mic Check 1!

oops. sorry. I'd forgot about this thread! Will try and do some final pics of the room.
Old 22nd January 2010 , 02:21 PM
Costa Del Cool

Please do, Trev...it's a great thread and great to see how the room progresses.
Old 3rd February 2010 , 10:19 AM

COME ON TREV!!

updates and details

the best part about this thread is that most of the work on show is possible and affordable to the basic home studio owner!

we are in a position which means we must get a different house as soon as possible! (kids)
my studio is playing a big part in what house we choose and I really can't wait to have an empty room that I can DIY with superchunks and panels before setting any of my gear up!!

so thumbs up on this thread mate!
with a bit of luck we will find a house soon and I can start a thread of my own!
Old 3rd February 2010 , 12:07 PM
Mic Check 1!

ok. Here's an update then. I got lazy on the last bit of work and bought four traps from Frank at GIK They are very well put together and neatly fabric wrapped. Frank made the whole process very easy indeed (and we had a good old chinwag) and they arrived quickly and without fuss. GIK didn't have exactly the same fabric as I'd done the rest of the room in so I just bought them in plain vanilla. This means when I get a minute I'll have to cover them with some of the fabric I have here but for the time being they are in place at reflections points to the side and behind my mix position. At this point the room sounds pretty reasonable (though far from perfect). I'm still getting used to mixing in it but I can get most of the way there now from the word go. Will take some photos today!
Old 25th April 2010 , 06:07 PM
Mic Check 1!

Finally got around to taking some photos. As you can see, it isn't particularly pretty but, to be frank [no pun intended] my first priority was to make it sound good rather than look good. Anyway. Here's a photo looking straight ahead:

One to the left (you can see that the GIK 244 has been hung so it butts up to the DIY superchunk:

One to the right:

One to the rear (you'll note there's a gap almost a foot wide between the panels, am thinking I may DIY a small panel to fit the gap):

And finally a composite pic of the room (done on 'pano' on my iphone):

Old 25th April 2010 , 07:46 PM

Crap...I think that looks great. Just couldn't resist the lava lamp, could you?

Frank
www.gikacoustics.com
(+44) 020 7558 8976 (UK)
FrankGIK is offline Offline
Old 20th March 2011 , 03:50 PM

Trev, I realise you have moved on to bigger things but one thing in this project you didn't mention is the door. I am looking at the second from last photo, above. Did you do anything (eg. solid door, second door on the outside, seals, ...) beyond the absorption trap on it? If so, what and why? And if not, why not?

I am studying in preparation for my new room (I will add something about it next month when I move in) and feel sure that the door will be the weakest link for sound leakage, not that I need full isolation, it would be prudent to cater for any obvious weak spots in the room.
Lester is offline Offline
Old 20th March 2011 , 09:21 PM
Mic Check 1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Trev, I realise you have moved on to bigger things...
Actually not mate. I'm still using this control room until my new one is done.

Quote:
but one thing in this project you didn't mention is the door. I am looking at the second from last photo, above. Did you do anything (eg. solid door, second door on the outside, seals, ...) beyond the absorption trap on it? If so, what and why? And if not, why not?
I really didn't do anything special. It's a solid door that opens onto a corridor. I was less bothered about isolation as I don't do any recording in the control room and didn't want to spend the money on it as ultimately it will probably just be a lounge.

Quote:
I am studying in preparation for my new room (I will add something about it next month when I move in) and feel sure that the door will be the weakest link for sound leakage, not that I need full isolation, it would be prudent to cater for any obvious weak spots in the room.
cool! Look forward to seeing your work!