View Single Post
Old 14th September 2008 , 07:29 PM
mrfracas

Going to college and uni is not the be-all and end-all of education. You learn to educate yourself from all activities in which you endeavour.

I was taught piano, and self-taught on various other instruments. I got into production and synths when I was around 13 or so, but I didn't take music as a GCSE. I even left college a few months into my Music Tech National Diploma so I could earn money to fund my interest in music.

The reason I went back at the age of 18, was because I realised I was working in a factory way too long, and I needed to prove to myself that I could do this course, and that I could go on to uni.

However, I'm just coming up to 25 years old and I'm worried that my education has stood in the way of me getting into the industry at a younger age. So, I suppose we all have some doubts about the methods by which we've travelled our paths. But, like you said above, the grass is always greener on the other side.

On the upside, I did learn a lot of skills I would never have imagined previously. Although, maybe my skillset would be totally different if I hadn't gone to uni... always two sides to the coin. The main thing is to not compare yourself to others, or look in hindsight; it's all time wasted, when really all you need to better yourself is to continue with the things you love doing, and realise that what you do is good. If it isn't, then look to remedy it. Be happy with the choices you've made, or move on to better choices.