View Single Post
Old 14th September 2008 , 06:53 PM
sphelan
Costa Del Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureno View Post
wow shane, i can understand how you feel about classical training killing inspiration in a genre like dance because something that may sound good in a dance track, a good chord progression etc may not strictly follow the classical rules so in theory it shouldn't work but it does. so if you followed strict classical training you wouldn't be able to explore that route. am i making any sense here, cos im starting to loose myself???

but i must admit i do envy those educated in music, im 27 and only wish i didn't flunk out of school but hindsight is a b!tch and i just get on with it now. may be the grass isn't always greener on the other side but it sure looks good from here
Yes, I agree. I know the rules - of one system - very well. But they don't often transfer over to another system. This can, as you said, close the doors to certain possibilities. I think that if I had studied jazz harmony my compositions would be richer in that area. But for dance music, how important is the harmony? There may only be one or two chords in a whole tune. I listen to something and I think "that's 32 bars of the same chord - it should be as boring as hell". But of course there are other things going on in other layers in the tune.

So I think I'll do some dance music production - but I have to learn a whole new system. I have to not use things I would normally use. I have to make it fit with that style etc. This happens with everything I know, but you get what I'm saying.

I think we have to becareful here too because we are talking about many different things at the same time. This is where the other thread was going also. There is the composition or songwriter in me and there is the music producer. How important is theory vs experience in these? And is it the same for each? I don't think so. From what I have been gathering since I joined these forums is that knowing what a certain mic should sound like with a certain amp going through a certain preamp etc etc is not the full story. And to actually set it up is much more valuable than reading it in a book on music production.
sphelan is offline Offline