Thread: Room treatment
View Single Post
Old 11th September 2008 , 11:42 PM
Khazul
Furry Filter Phreak

They are both method of increasing the surface area of your absorbtion material. The greater the surface area, then all else being equal the greater the HF absorbtion.

Another aspect of the shaping is dispersal as well - its better to have evenly dispersed HF than rigidly reflected - the former gives a nice ambience, the latter yeilds ringing or fluttter (very rapid) echos.

Just using foam on it own will allways tame yhou room a bit - however it may not give you quite the result your want - sure imaging may be a bit better etc, but a wierd frequency response (due to HF being absorbed and mids less absorbed and lows not at all) might actually end distracting as much as it helps.

If you are going for room treatment on a budget that is too restricted to provide full range damping, then first of all you need to work out roughly what is wrong - which then takes you back to the mixes you have done - what common problems do you have.

For example - I have no treatment in here - just bought the place and havnt got around to it yet, but I know the main problems - bass repsonse all over the place, so I need some bass trapping to tame it a bit, but otherwise I just need some light absorbtion at first reflection points. Anything more than that will run the risk of upsetting the rather nice even frequency balannce in here.

A good read on this subject are the articles each month in Sound on Sound about studio makeovers and if you also search for room treatment on their web site that should also give some useful background information.

For example - this one from december last year (but it may be subscriber only)

Room For Improvement
Khazul is offline Offline